Creative Corner--Precious Gems


Luca is an incredibly active, intelligent and inquisitive 4 year old.  I don't know about you, but I find that it takes a lot of energy to keep him entertained in positive ways.  I would love to start a weekly link-up of ideas for other families to share fun activities that they are doing at home!  Wouldn't it be great to get a bunch of fun ideas all in one place every week?


Each Friday for the rest of this year, I'll be sharing a small activity that I've planned for our family, and then after the first of the year, I'd like to invite you to share your family-friendly activity ideas in the weekly link-up (it's super easy, and powered by In Linkz--more details as the time approaches). 

For my premiere Creative Corner post, I want to share a very simple activity that has kept Luca busy on many occasions.  I ordered 2 lbs of Brazilian Tumbled Polished Natural Stones on Amazon a couple of months ago that I thought we could use for a variety of projects.  Before we glued them all somewhere or otherwise started using them up, I wanted Luca to have a chance to work on his sorting skills.

I pulled out a couple of divided trays and explained what to do, then let him go to town.  He had a great time examining each stone and deciding which pile to add it to, according to its attributes.  When he was done sorting, we counted them up and made a bar graph, while talking about the different varieties we had received in our assorted bag.

He had a great time doing this activity the first time around, and has enjoyed it several more times.  If you have a great rock bed as part of your landscaping or live near an area brimming with interesting stones, you could do this project for free of course!


I hope you'll consider participating in my Creative Corner link-up in the coming weeks!  It's going to be fun!

A Lovely Homemade Life: Creative Corner--Precious Gems

Friday, November 14

Creative Corner--Precious Gems


Luca is an incredibly active, intelligent and inquisitive 4 year old.  I don't know about you, but I find that it takes a lot of energy to keep him entertained in positive ways.  I would love to start a weekly link-up of ideas for other families to share fun activities that they are doing at home!  Wouldn't it be great to get a bunch of fun ideas all in one place every week?


Each Friday for the rest of this year, I'll be sharing a small activity that I've planned for our family, and then after the first of the year, I'd like to invite you to share your family-friendly activity ideas in the weekly link-up (it's super easy, and powered by In Linkz--more details as the time approaches). 

For my premiere Creative Corner post, I want to share a very simple activity that has kept Luca busy on many occasions.  I ordered 2 lbs of Brazilian Tumbled Polished Natural Stones on Amazon a couple of months ago that I thought we could use for a variety of projects.  Before we glued them all somewhere or otherwise started using them up, I wanted Luca to have a chance to work on his sorting skills.

I pulled out a couple of divided trays and explained what to do, then let him go to town.  He had a great time examining each stone and deciding which pile to add it to, according to its attributes.  When he was done sorting, we counted them up and made a bar graph, while talking about the different varieties we had received in our assorted bag.

He had a great time doing this activity the first time around, and has enjoyed it several more times.  If you have a great rock bed as part of your landscaping or live near an area brimming with interesting stones, you could do this project for free of course!


I hope you'll consider participating in my Creative Corner link-up in the coming weeks!  It's going to be fun!

3 Comments:

At 11/14/14, 9:23 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

I can't remember where you live, but if you are not in a tropical area, you can do the same thing with leaves this time of year. Go on a walk and fill a bag with all sorts. Then sort according to shape, or color, or smooth edge or ridged edge -- many possibilities. All for free. ;-) And if you have access to beeswax pellets, you can melt them and paint the leaves to keep them from drying out.

I'll try to think of some of my boys' favorite activities. It's been awhile since the oldest is 25 and the youngest 18.

 
At 11/14/14, 8:22 PM , Blogger Jennie said...

We're in Texas, so we don't typically get a lot of fall colors or fallen leaves in our area, but some. I love the idea of preserving them with beeswax...that's so clever! Thanks for sharing!

 
At 11/14/14, 11:12 PM , Blogger Bibi said...

I love the name. And what a beautiful and colorful project. Always love seeing Luca's smiling face!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home