The Great Quilt Rescue


 


Isn't this a gorgeous quilt?  I just love the colors and the design (coincidentally, if anyone knows the name of the block I'd love it if you'd tell me!  I haven't found the time yet to go searching for it).

I found this gem on a Facebook Garage Sale site in our area.  The seller was only asking $10, and from the small picture I felt reasonably sure it had been hand quilted, although I couldn't tell how it had been pieced.  So I said I'd take it!

When I picked it up from the very nice lady, she said they had used it as a blanket in their camper and it had been washed and dried countless times.  Once I got it home, I examined it and it had indeed been quilted by hand (and machine pieced).  After researching (on Pinterest) the best way to clean a quilt (hand washing and line drying) I decided to put it in the washing machine.  She said that's how they had always washed it, so I thought it would probably be fine.

It came out somewhat fluffier than how it went in, but I suppose that was to be expected.  After using it a few chilly nights, it seems to have settled down a bit.  There are just two small tears (less than 2" each) that need repairing, but it's in really lovely shape and has a really neat sawtooth edging detail.

I'd say for $10 it is a really lovely addition to my small, but growing, quilt collection.  I love the idea of "rescuing" someone's handiwork and appreciating it for the unique piece it is.  I hope I have the opportunity to add more quilts to my collection in this way.

EDITED TO ADD:  Hooray!  I stumbled upon the quilt block on Pinterest today, quite unexpectedly.  I believe this block is called "Carpenter's Wheel" or "Carpenter's Star" --Mystery solved!


A Lovely Homemade Life: The Great Quilt Rescue

Monday, October 13

The Great Quilt Rescue


 


Isn't this a gorgeous quilt?  I just love the colors and the design (coincidentally, if anyone knows the name of the block I'd love it if you'd tell me!  I haven't found the time yet to go searching for it).

I found this gem on a Facebook Garage Sale site in our area.  The seller was only asking $10, and from the small picture I felt reasonably sure it had been hand quilted, although I couldn't tell how it had been pieced.  So I said I'd take it!

When I picked it up from the very nice lady, she said they had used it as a blanket in their camper and it had been washed and dried countless times.  Once I got it home, I examined it and it had indeed been quilted by hand (and machine pieced).  After researching (on Pinterest) the best way to clean a quilt (hand washing and line drying) I decided to put it in the washing machine.  She said that's how they had always washed it, so I thought it would probably be fine.

It came out somewhat fluffier than how it went in, but I suppose that was to be expected.  After using it a few chilly nights, it seems to have settled down a bit.  There are just two small tears (less than 2" each) that need repairing, but it's in really lovely shape and has a really neat sawtooth edging detail.

I'd say for $10 it is a really lovely addition to my small, but growing, quilt collection.  I love the idea of "rescuing" someone's handiwork and appreciating it for the unique piece it is.  I hope I have the opportunity to add more quilts to my collection in this way.

EDITED TO ADD:  Hooray!  I stumbled upon the quilt block on Pinterest today, quite unexpectedly.  I believe this block is called "Carpenter's Wheel" or "Carpenter's Star" --Mystery solved!


1 Comments:

At 10/13/14, 1:26 PM , Blogger Bibi said...

What a great quilt!! One of my favorite things about the cabins that we stayed in at cama beach was that each bed had an original handmade quilt on it. It really upped the cozy factor. Your rescued quilt is such a cool find. I am jealous!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home